I was recently bummed when I figured out that I can only import one of my blog feeds into my Facebook notes (I also wanted to import my personal blog scottismy.name and the feed from my Flickr Photostream). Fortunately, Facebook doesn’t really dictate which of your feeds you can import into notes so the answer to my problems was in adding an aggregate feed rather than just a standard single feed. Enter Yahoo Pipes.
If you haven’t discovered or played with Yahoo Pipes it’s a content aggregation tool. One of the features is that it will output a single feed from several others. While Pipes can do much more than what I am about to show you, my needs were fairly simple so it makes a good introduction to Yahoo Pipes. If you want “pipe” more than one feed automatically into Facebook Notes or some other app, Yahoo Pipes will work great. Let’s get stared…
- Go To Yahoo Pipes, if you don’t have a Yahoo account you’ll need to sign up
- Click on “Create a Pipe”
- On the Left, select “Fetch Site Feeds” from under the “Sources” menu and drag it onto the screen
- Enter the URL of the feed you want (note, you should add the feed url, not just the site URL to make sure you get what you want. If you are on a self hosted wordpress blog it’s domainname.com/feed/)
- Click the + sign to add additional boxes for more URL’s
- From the Left, select “Sort” under the “Operators” menu and drag it onto the screen
- Set the first value in the sort box to “item.pubDate”
- Sec the second value to “descending” to keep the newer posts at the top
- Now drag the “knob” from the bottom of the “Fetch Site Feeds” widget from the bottom of the widget to the top of the “Sort” Widget
- Drag the “knob” at the bottom of the “Sort” widget to the top of the “Pipe Output” widget
- Save your Pipe (Save is at the top right)
- Click “Back To My Pipes”
- Click on the name of the Pipe you just created, this will bring up a screen with the results of the pipe you just created
- Right click on the “Get as RSS” Icon at the top of the feed box. In FireFox select “Copy Link Location”, in IE “Copy Shortcut”
The end result of your new pipe should look like this:
- Got to Your Facebook account
- Go to your profile and click on the notes tab, if you don’t have one add it
- Click on “See Older Notes” in the light blue box on the right
- Click “Edit Import Settings” in the light blue box on the right
- Paste in the RSS feed url you copied when we were back in Yahoo Pipes
- Save and be done!
Facebook should automatically import your various content items (blog posts, flickr images, …) into your notes automatically.
He’re a quick video of the process in case something above isn’t quite clear. Note, the video has no narrative/sound. My video may not exactly follow the instructions above largely because I am already importing my feed but if you follow the instructions this should get you there.